Civil & Industry
Smulders was responsible for the delivery and assembly of the steel roof constructions of the courthouse of Antwerp.
The project consisted of:
- 26 small shell roofs (18 tons each)
- 6 large shell roofs (24 tons each)
- Salle des pas perdus
- Connection bridges/ lift shaft
The shell roofs are shaped like a hypar shape (hyperbolic paraboloid). The roof construction exists of a wooden shell, 120 mm insulation and watertightness existing of one completely welded inox skin.
- Client: Justinvest/Regie der Gebouwen
- Architect: Richard Rodgers
- Weight: 1,545 tons of steel